Cigna, Express Scripts Implement Emergency Procedures for People Affected by Hurricane Dorian
BLOOMFIELD, Conn.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Global health service company Cigna (NYSE: CI) and its Express Scripts unit are helping residents of Florida affected by Hurricane Dorian by easing some health benefits plan and prescription requirements, and expanding access to a toll-free help line.
Cigna and Express Scripts will continue to monitor the situation and take additional steps to help our customers as needed, in concert with emergency or disaster declarations by local, state and federal authorities, to ensure customers continue to have access to pharmacy and medical care. Cigna may extend the expiration date for these temporary measures and expand the geographic range based on the path Hurricane Dorian takes and local conditions.
For all residents in affected areas, Cigna is providing access to its 24×7 telephone help line staffed with qualified clinicians available to speak with people about how to cope with anxiety, stress or other issues. People who do not have health benefits or employee assistance program benefits with Cigna can call 1.866.912.1687 toll-free.
Cigna Disaster Resource Center provides a list of online resources for physical and mental self-care during challenging times. Resources are available in English and Spanish.
- Pharmacy: to ensure customers continue to have ready access to prescription medications during this potentially difficult time, prescription refill requirements are lifted in affected areas through end of September.
- Urgent Care and Emergencies: Cigna will temporarily cover out-of-network claims as in-network for urgent and emergency care for impacted customers in affected areas, and relax requirements for health care providers to seek prior authorization for urgent and emergency situations.
- Medicare Advantage: Cigna’s Medicare Advantage health plan is lifting early refill edits and referral requirements for Medicare Parts A, B and Supplemental Part C customers in the State of Florida per state and federal regulations. Additionally, if those customers require out-of-network services during the declaration, Cigna will allow impacted customers to obtain that care at in-network cost-share. Out-of-Network providers will receive payment at Medicare rates.
- 24×7 Support for Customers: for questions on pharmacy or medical care, customers may call the number on their customer ID card or call 1.800.244.6224. Smartphone users may access their ID card and other personal health benefits information through the myCigna app, available as a free download at the Apple iTunes App Store and the Android Market on Google Play.
Express Scripts Members
- Express Scripts has implemented emergency procedures for its members in these areas, including Medicare, Medicaid and TRICARE® beneficiaries, and patients who fill medications via the company’s Accredo specialty pharmacy.
- Prescriptions: members in affected areas can obtain an early refill or replace any medication lost or damaged as a result of the storm. This override will be available to members in impacted areas through late September.
- For More Info: members can call the number on the back of their prescription ID card, or visit https://www.express-scripts.com. The Express Scripts mobile app, available for free download, can help members locate nearby pharmacies and manage prescriptions.
Emergency Preparedness Tips
Cigna and Express Scripts remind people to take important storm precautions, including:
- Print a copy of your medication history and keep it with you in a sealed plastic bag.
- If you have to evacuate, take your medication with you (as well as your medication list).
- If you’re running low on medicine, call or visit your local pharmacy now and obtain an emergency supply.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. Cigna delivers choice, predictability, affordability and access to quality care through integrated capabilities and connected, personalized solutions that advance whole person health. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Express Scripts companies or their affiliates, and Life Insurance Company of North America. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance.
Cigna maintains sales capability in over 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has more than 165 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.